What is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a medical technique which involves the use of laser beam on the skin to remove hair from hair follicles. It is basically the pigment of hair follicles which is effected by this concentrated beam of laser light. By this method the hair are removed temporarily for about few months but hair removal is not permanent.
It is one of the most common cosmetic practice of hair removal in US.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
- This method can help to remove hair for a long period of time.
- It is possible to remove a large number of hair in few seconds as the laser beam can treat the entire on which it is falling.
Target areas for Laser Hair Removal
- bikini line,
- upper lips,
Most important thing to consider
When choosing a professional that specializes in laser hair removal, make your choice wisely. Have enough information that you are aware of the side effects of this procedure. Also, the best way to avoid bad experiences is to seek expert medical support and advice when needed and know that everything is being done safely and properly.
Preparing for the treatment
If you opt to go for a laser treatment then you should keep the following things in mind:
- Avoid plucking, waxing, electrolysis or any other type of hair removal method for atleast 6 weeks before treatment.
- If your skin is suntanned then wait until it is back to normal color.
- Avoid sun exposure.
- Avoid any blood-thinning medication for example aspirin.
- Shaving and trimming is allowed as the hair is not removed from its root.
- Discuss everything with your medical specialist about Laser hair Removal
Everyone in the room shoulder wear safety glasses.
The target area for treatment is cleaned, then if the area is sensitive then a numbing gel is used to numb it. The medical specialist then uses the laser beam on the desired area for hair removal. The time required for this procedure depends on the size of area being treated. If it is small area like upper lips then it can take a minute but if it is like chest or leg it may take an hour or so for the procedure to complete.
What happens after procedure?
- After this laser treatment swelling and redness can be observed. Use an icepack for it.
- The hair will not fall off immediately but yes they will so have little patience.
- Avoid sunlight after treatment and between treatments.
- Use a sunblock if any sun exposure.
The cost of Laser hair removal for one session is $389 as per American Society of Plastic Surgeons. This cost can vary so it is better to consult your medical specialist.
Side Effects or Risks
Laser hair removal is not like any other cosmetic procedure. Therefore, the results of every procedure will vary. They include the following:
- Different results for different people.
- Depending on how frequently one needs to repeat the laser hair removal procedure as hair grows in 3-4 cycles.
- Continuous changes to come out of this process if one should undergo another laser hair removal procedure.
- Not everyone will have the results desired by most people.
- Many times, the results to come out of this treatment are not desirable for some people.
- Certain problems may occur, including allergic reactions, blistering and burns in severe cases.
- Losing too much hair can leave a noticeable scar which may require surgery, permanent hair removal and/or reconstruction.
- Some people will have more scars than others, sometimes leaving some scars which could have been a result of a surgery.
- It can cause skin or eye irritation, allergic reactions, numbness and bruising.
- People with darker skin are more likely to have burns due to lesser skin and hair color contrast.